Our new Folkestone Seafront Boardwalk and the refurbishment of Lewis Cubittt's 1844 harbour viaduct were completed in 2017, in time for the opening of the Folkestone Triennial. Work has continued throughout the winter on the refurbishment of Folkestone Harbour station, which is slowly getting ready for an Easter opening. The route through the renovated former station will complete the new network of footpaths and walkways in and around Folkestone Harbour and Seafront.

Folkestone Harbour Station was built by South Eastern Railways in 1850 to serve the steam boat express service to Boulougne, and was one of the two main gateways to France until the opening of the Channel Tunnel. It allowed passengers of the all Pullman Golden Arrow train from London to transfer directly onto fast boats to connect to Paris and onwards to Venice and Istanbul.

The project includes the repairs of the 1904 and 1930s canopies and the conversion of the old trackbed into a pedestrian route. All train tracks found on site have been retained and integrated into the scheme.
Timber benches and steps have been added to reduce the gap between the platform and the track bed as well as creating a space for seating and rest. All colours for the station have been based on colour traced found on site from the original South Eastern Railways works, and matching lighting and bilingual station signs will be installed in the weeks ahead.